Discovered while clowning around in a shoe shop by a production manager for the British Children's show Byker Grove, Charlie Hunnam was cast in his first role as the long-locked child model "Jason" in three episodes of the show. His first major role came soon after as Nathan Maloney in the Channel 4 drama Queer as Folk (UK). He followed this up with his role as "Daz" in the British film Whatever Happened to Harold Smith?. Upon completion of both projects, Hunnam relocated to Los Angeles, California to pursue his acting career.
His career, meanwhile, expanded to include a recurring role as Gregor Ryder in a TV Series for The WB Network called Young Americans. He then appeared in the short-lived Fox series Undeclared as the British drama student Lloyd Haythe. The series was cancelled after only one season. Following Undeclared, he appeared in Abandon, Nicholas Nickleby (2002), and Cold Mountain.
Hunnam has stated that he does not wish to simply take any role that he is offered: "I have 60 years to make the money, but the choices I make in the next five years are really going to define my career.". This decision resulted in his return to the United Kingdom to take the lead as Pete Dunham in Green Street (also known as Green Street Hooligans, Hooligans, and The Yank).
Hunnam played the role of Patric, a member of "The Fishes", in Children of Men (2006) directed by Alfonso Cuarón. Hunnam states that this role was the final part in his "trilogy of mad men." "I played the psycho in Cold Mountain, my character in Green Street is fairly psychotic and now I've got this role."
In 2011, Hunnam is going to participate in both The Last Full Measure, a film with Robert Duvall, Bruce Willis, and Morgan Freeman as well as The Ledge, a layered love story with themes of religious faith co-starring Evan Rachel Wood, Peter Sarsgaard, and Terrence Howard. In 2009, Hunnam sold his screenplay, Vlad, to Summit Entertainment with Brad Pitt's Plan B Studios co-producing. The movie is being directed by music video director and photographer Anthony Mandler and will focus on Dracula as a young prince.
Hunnam currently stars as Jackson "Jax" Teller in the FX network series, Sons of Anarchy. Hunnam's character "Jax" serves as the vice president of a prominent motorcycle club in a small California town.
* My Wonderful Life (1997) (TV) .... Wes (1999) (TV)
* Microsoap (1998) (TV) .... Brad
* Whatever Happened to Harold Smith? (1999) .... Daz
* Queer as Folk (1999) (TV) .... Nathan Maloney
* Queer as Folk 2 (2000) (TV) .... Nathan Maloney
* Young Americans (2000) (TV) .... Gregor Ryder
* Undeclared (2001–2002) (TV) .... Lloyd Haythe
* Nicholas Nickleby (2002) .... Nicholas Nickleby
* Abandon (2002) .... Embry Larkin
* Cold Mountain (2003) .... Bosie
* Green Street Hooligans. (2005) .... Pete Dunham
* Children of Men (2006) .... Patric
* Sons of Anarchy (2008–present) (TV) .... Jax Teller
* The Last Full Measure (2010) .... William H. Pitsenbarger
* The Ledge (2011) .... Gavin Nichols